Dayngrous Discourse

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Comment Moderation Tabs For Blogger - FAIL

Hey bloggers, Do you moderate your comments? If so, listen up! It seems blogger has added a new feature to help with comments. There are three new sections under the comments tab: SPAM, AWAITING MODERATION and PUBLISHED.

Let's talk about the SPAM option:

Here's the problem. The spam feature doesn't seem to actually catch any spam. I can live with that though since blogger has never caught spam. At least now with the new tab, we can mark comments as spam and report them to blogger, even though there are tons of reports on their forum that this isn't working.

The next option is AWAITING MODERATION. This item allows you to publish the comments that you wish and delete the ones that you don't. That seems to be working just fine.

Finally, the last option is PUBLISHED. This is where every single comment that's been published to your blog appears. Imagine my surprise to see 5 years of comments, on 1418 blog posts, appear all at once in this tab. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. At first it was great being able to read and review comments I'd forgotten about over the last five years. Then, it was annoying to see thousands of comments sitting there cluttering up the tab.

As you can see there are three options on how to handle published comments but no information on what each means. Here's what I thought it meant:
  1. Spam - Mark a comment you may have accidentally published as spam
  2. Delete - Delete the published comment from the tab
  3. Remove Content - Remove the content/comment you published (should you change your mind)

Here's what they really do:
  1. Spam - Marks a comment you may have accidentally published as spam
  2. Delete - Deletes the published comment from your blog, not from the tab (Very misleading!)
  3. Remove Content - Removes/deletes the content/comment you published from your blog and replaces it with the statement "Comment deleted: This post has been removed by a blog administrator."

Perhaps I should have tested them out instead of applying common sense. The result was disastrous.

In the PUBLISHED tab, I selected all and clicked DELETE, not REMOVE CONTENT and ended up deleting 5 years worth of published comments on my blog. FIVE YEARS OF COMMENTS!

I was under the impression I was deleting them from the tab (since they had already been moderated and published by me) NOT REMOVING THE CONTENT FROM MY BLOG! Wow. What a shocker and how devastating.

Delete in the Published section should work just like deleting from your sent folder in your mail program. You've already sent the mail and now you're just deleting a copy of what you've already sent. Therefore, you've already published the comment to your blog post and now you're just deleting the copy of it from your Published section.

So it seems, the only difference between delete and remove content is that remove content leave a note that the content was removed whereas delete just removes it as if it were never there. That makes NO sense whatsoever.

I think this is going to prove to be a major issue for first time users since there is no helpful ? icon or explanation on what each option does. I'm a pretty savvy blogger and I made a fatal error so if it happened to me, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Right now I'm in shock. I can't tell you how much I've lost or how this will impact me as a blogger. My blog's been pulling in work for me for quite some time now and I'm not sure what zero comments will do to my credibility now. I'm floored and frustrated.

post signature


[ Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ]

12 comment(s):

That's frustrating. I'm certain I spend more time managing/deleting spam than I do replying to comment left on my blog. I've tried a number of comment management programs like Disqus and Intense Debate and they help for a while, but the spammers catch up and find loopholes.

By Blogger Brett Nordquist, at August 31, 2010 11:54 AM  

I deleted a few by accident too, but just a few. I think they need a pop-up "are you sure you know what you're doing?" type thing!

By Blogger blueviolet, at August 31, 2010 2:39 PM  

@BlueViolet, oh it's not that there isn't a warning telling you it can't be undone, because there IS one of those. It's that you have no idea if you're deleting it from the published tab or from the blog itself. That's the BIG issue. I wanted to delete them. It's annoying to have thousands of comments on the front page. If they were going to do it that way, the least they could have done was move the published tab to the middle or the back so it isn't the first thing you see.

I am beyond frustrated. I lost every single blog comment that was ever posted here.

By Blogger Dayngr, at August 31, 2010 5:49 PM  

Wow, that's good to know...came over from twitter.

By Blogger Sherri, at August 31, 2010 7:40 PM  

Oh no, that's horrible! I think I'd be in tears!

I haven't gone anywhere near that category so far - just the Spam and Moderate Comments tabs. I think I shall stay the heck away from that other tab!

Oh, and I've actually noticed that Blogger is catching the "Oriental Spam" that I had been getting on posts so at least it's getting something more than it used to. So I guess there's one very small plus to the new addition.

By Blogger Linda, at August 31, 2010 8:47 PM  

Oh no! No, no, no! Is there any way the folks at Blogspot can get the comments back for you?

By Blogger Holly at Tropic of Mom, at September 01, 2010 12:43 PM  

Linda, I was too shocked to cry. I just sat here with my mouth open for like 5 minutes and then I complained ALL day and I mean ALL day long.

By Blogger Dayngr, at September 01, 2010 9:47 PM  

Welcome Sherri!

By Blogger Dayngr, at September 01, 2010 9:48 PM  

Oh no, I'm so sorry that happened!

By Blogger Lexie Loo & Dylan Too, at September 01, 2010 11:49 PM  

Holly, don't make me laugh. No one at blogger ever responds. I knew there was no undo, they just didn't explain that deleting from the tab meant deleting from the blog. I thought that's what remove content meant. There was, and is, no where to learn what each of these items does until you do it. Sad.

By Blogger Dayngr | Dayngrous Discourse, at September 02, 2010 5:34 PM  

again, ¡Ñoooooooooooooooooo!

By Blogger Pepe, at September 13, 2010 10:27 PM  

i agree with that they need to add a pop-up "are you sure you know what you're doing

By Anonymous vinyl windows richmond, at December 16, 2010 8:44 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home